International Union of Operating Engineers
Local 501, AFL-CIO
2405 West Third Street
Los Angeles, CA 90057
Applicants can be the following: children, step-children or adopted children of a member who has had four (4) or more years of continuous active membership in IUOE Local 501 and is a member in good standing at the time of the student’s application.
Recipients are selected on a competitive basis and the awards will be based on the following considerations:
- Academic standing during four years of High School
- College entrance examination scores where applicable (SAT / ACT)
- Extracurricular activities and leadership
- A written Essay of at least 500 words on “What impact has Operating Engineers, Local 501 had on my life?”
A scholarship winner may attend any Accredited College or University of choice in the United States and must be enrolled in order to accept a scholarship.
Selection of scholarship winners will be made by a Scholarship Committee appointed by the Scholarship Board of Trustees. All decisions of the Scholarship Committee are final.
The amount of the scholarship awards and the number of recipients is determined yearly by the Scholarship Fund Board of Trustees.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS
The winner of R. H. Fox Jr. Scholarship Award will be announced as soon as possible after the closing date of Applications.
In judging Scholarship Applications, the Scholarship Committee will select a list of alternates. Such alternates shall be eligible in order of their selection. In the event of one or more of the award winners would be unable to accept a scholarship award at the time of the initial selection, the list of alternates shall be used.
1) Application Form/Scholarship Agreement is to be completed by applicant.
2) High School Report to be completed by the applicant’s Principal or Academic Advisor: This form must be accompanied with a copy of the Applicant’s Transcripts and College Entrance Examination Scores (SAT or ACT).
3) A written essay of at least 500 words on “What impact has Operating Engineers, Local 501 had on my life?”
4) Character References: Applicant must furnish R. H. Fox, Jr. Scholarship Fund with two (2) letters of reference. These letters may be written by the following: teachers, counselors or members of the community who know the Applicant and can attest to his or her character, involvement in school, community activities and potential for academic success.
All the above materials must be received by the R.H. Fox Jr. Scholarship Fund no later than TBD. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that these materials are received by this deadline. All forms and letters of reference should be mailed to the following address:
R. H. FOX, JR. SCHOLARSHIP FUND
I.U.O.E. Local 501
2405 W. Third Street
Los Angeles, CA 90057
Please be sure that you have read and understood the R. H. Fox, Jr. Scholarship Award Requirements.